February 1, 2017

january 2017 book review




One of my New Year's resolutions for this year is to read more. I love to read, but I have not always made it a priority. So I've set a goal for myself of two books a month - one fiction and one non-fiction (something on parenting, marriage, christian womanhood, or education). It's a small goal, I know, and I hope that some months I am able to read much more than that! But my thought is that if I start with a small and very attainable goal it will be just the kick in the pants that I need to make reading a larger part of my everyday life.

I'm happy to say that I was able to read through three books in January, and I loved them all!




by Kathleen Grissom

I know - everyone and their mother has already read this book.....and now I know why! This was the first book in a very long time that had me staying up waaaaaay too late at night because I just had to know what happened next. The story is told from the perspective of two female slaves and really is quite dark and depressing - it is about slavery, after all. I thought that the character development was wonderful and I found myself absolutely loving some while being completely appalled and disgusted with others. It is a heart-breaking story, but weeks later I am still thinking about it which, I believe, is the mark of a good book!


by Liane Moriarty

After seeing books by Liane Moriarty on everyone's must-read lists for years, I finally got around to reading one! I absolutely loved this book! After suffering a head injury, Alice awakens to find that she has forgotten the last ten years of her life. It really had me thinking about how much can change in that time, and how all of the decisions and events in our lives can have such lasting effects.

Also, I think this is supposed to be coming out as a movie this year?!! So excited for that!


by Catherine Hickem

I have had this book for years and I cannot believe that I am just now reading it! This was so, so good and is now definitely on my list of favorite parenting books. This book is all about the big-picture of being a parent - what our mindset should be, what our goals should be, what our role truly is - just being really intentional in our parenting.

"A mother's purpose is to give all of herself to uniquely impart values, faith, beliefs, and love into the children with whom she's been entrusted.  Embrace the journey of motherhood with the belief that you will empower your children to fulfill the purpose of their creation.  Mothering with purpose is to recognize that your very existence defines love, gives life, protects innocence, believes in the impossible, and views life's struggles as opportunities to enrich your children's lives.........A mother knows she is the emotional floor her children will build their lives on until they can transfer that foundation onto God."

Good stuff, y'all.


So those are my books for January! I am so excited to be reading more this year and to share them here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...