April 13, 2010

good night, sweet boy

on any given day, Caleb might:

- leave numerous bite-marks on my legs.
- kick me when i try to put him in his highchair.
- throw the food that i just made him onto the floor.
- have 101 tantrums. for no reason.
- pull my hair.

on any given day, i might:

- not demonstrate enough patience.
- raise my voice.
- burn his grilled cheese sandwich.
- not have enough energy to throw him and swing him the way daddy does.

but at the end of the day, when it is just the two of us alone in his room, i hold him in my arms and say his night-night prayer. he presses his nose up to mine as i whisper the words, and when i open my eyes, he smiles his wonderful, sweet smile at me. he places each of his hands on each of my cheeks, and pulls my face towards his, and proceeds to plant his open-mouthed kisses on me. after each one, he giggles that sweet little laugh of his.

and in all of this, i can feel him saying, "we're gonna be just fine, mommy. cause i love you, and you love me. so just forget about all of the yuck from today, and tomorrow, we'll do it all again, maybe even a little bit better."

and he fills up my mommy heart with his kisses. and he holds my love in his little hands.

good night, sweet boy.

**********************************************************
i'm linking up for Emily's Tuesdays Unwrapped

6 comments:

  1. That is beautiful. My two-yr old and I have a similar relationship :)

    Blessings,

    Alyssa
    lifeoflyssie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Talk about perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You stated that so beautifully. Yes. That is all part of being a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What...are ya trying to make us cry??? How sweet! I love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...